Well, after about half a tank of gas, I completed the rear subframe. On the top of my list of lessons learned on a big, crucial welding project is drilling pressure relief holes in any tubes that will be fully welded up. In this case, I ended up with around 10 holes that I’ll leave for now. There will be plenty more welding to be completed on this subframe with the addition of the suspension and motor mounts.
And now for the eye candy:
I have a feeling I’m going to be using the phrase “getting there” a lot, mainly just to hear someone say it and keep myself motivated.
Here’s a pic of what is here so far, the front and rear subframes, upside down. I’m trying to come up with a completion percentage but can’t really do it. I’d like to say more than 10% of the work is done, but I know that’s not correct. It’s practically 50% if you envision wheels, an engine, bodywork, seats, and a steering wheel, and then flip the whole thing right-side up.
Here are a few more pics of the actual construction of the rear subframe. A lot of tight fits here!
Today was a bunch of notching with the mill and grinding wheel. We ended up tacking both sides of the rear sub-frame together and finished notching all of the connecting members. Just need to triple check some dimensions and come up with a jigging system to hold the sub-frame sides at the correct angles while tack welding them. The pictures should explain what I’m saying easier than I’m explaining it:
You may ask why the tubing extending forward of the subframe has run so long. Part of that is design; some length is necessary to cope the long runners of the frame back there. The other part is clueless-ness. What do I mean by that? I mean we are somewhat clueless as to how the 4g63 oil filter housing and oil pan are going to fit in the frame. Add on top of that, the fact that we need to get the half-shafts as straight as possible….
Here is the start of the jig to hold the 3D structure of the sub-frame sides together:
Hope to have the rest of the sub-frame tacked together by the end of this week. It’s coming along!
Well, it took a lot of welding, but the front subframe is finally all welded together. I even went through the trouble of cutting out 8 16 ga sheet metal circles using a 1 5/8″ hole saw and fused them onto the ends of the tubing. Turned out pretty well!
Here it is, all complete. This is going to be our flat surface to build a majority of the frame of the car on. It’s a 12′ x 4′ table that’s constructed in a very stout way. No idea how much it weighs, but the two of us can lift it up and move it around a bit. We plan to shim the legs up from the ground to make it completely flat when we have it in the final resting place.